Notices

Kenzie's daily thread

Old 06-27-2024, 03:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Kenzie's daily thread

It's day one for me again. I really regret drinking yesterday. I stopped soon after I started and called a friend to come get rid of the rest. I live with an alcoholic so there was alcohol in the house. I've been suffering with sciatica for a while unfortunately I made the decision to begin exercising hoping that would help but only made it way worse I was in a lot of pain and argued with my daughter and just wanted that relief for a minute. Obviously it didn't work I'm sick this morning. I stopped going to meetings as often as sitting is problem. I've been at the same type of work for 35 years I sit at the desk everyday that causes the problem but it's imperative for me to remind myself why I shouldn't drink. I'm starting it daily thread so I can try to make sure this won't happen again I'm so disappointed in myself 😔
Old 06-27-2024, 04:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Kensie

I’m glad you made it back.

It’s hard to quit when you’ve been self medicating, and hard when you live with an alcoholic - but it’s never impossible to quit when you want it badly enough

By the way, I moved your thread- we start all the journal threads here in Newcomers forum and then move them to Daily Support when they hit a part 2

D
Old 06-27-2024, 04:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome back Kensie

Old 06-27-2024, 04:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sciatica is painful. Drunk sciatica is even worse. Then there's hangover sciatica, which is the worst form of sciatica. We are always here and glad to have you, so I hope you keep posting.
Old 06-27-2024, 07:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sorry you have to post this.

Day 1 is better than Day 0

Keep pushing forward
Old 06-27-2024, 07:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

A year and a half is a good stretch, so you know you can do it. I would have found it difficult in early sobriety to have alcohol in the house.
Old 06-27-2024, 07:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Welcome Wagoneer

I understand when an undercurrent of pain and strong emotions strike It is difficult to navigate sobriety. Looks as pain and relationships need managing now along with staying sober. Recovery work is like that, It encompasses the entire family, even job and friendships are all affected by alcoholism. Can you exert strong boundaries for your safety and comfort?
Old 06-27-2024, 08:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kensie12 View Post
It's day one again. I had a year and a half without drinking without touching a drop. I've been suffering from sciatic pain I sit at the desk everyday I've been at the same type of job for 35 years. I started exercising at first when the pain got bad thinking that would help but only made it worse I was in a lot of pain and argued with my daughter there was alcohol in the house My significant other is an alcoholic as well still active. I drank them so quickly It was scary I called a friend and she came to dump the rest because I didn't t think I could do it on my own. I regret it and made me ill. I don't want this to happen again
Welcome to Day One - with a foundation.

This isn't simply Day One - it is Day One with the strength of a year and a half of sober awareness, and the newfound reminder that alcohol is NOT the answer.

I've been sitting for nearly 30 years in a sedentary career as well. I now have hip osteoarthritis, sciatica, back pain and have lost all of my mobility and flexibility and musculature of youth.

It feels discouraging and some days impairs my sleep and daily function. But alcohol and drugs won't help.

Gradual progress with stretching, strengthening, physiotherapy, massage, accupuncture, PRP, mild-to-moderate exercise walking my way slowly back to health while working on tapping into mind-body healing..... these things WILL help. They will take time, there will be pain, but there will also be progress.

We must maintain faith, and a connection to a Greater Power that can help us.... whether that power is a chiropractor, an accupuncturist, a functional healer, a standing desk, three short walks a day, a stretching routine.... all of the above.

WE CAN DO THIS.

"Every day, in every way, I AM healing and getting stronger"

"Every day, in every way, I AM becoming better health..."

OH, I do not minimize the challenges. The day to day stressors, the addictive voices, the wild cards introduced by others in our lives.

But - you and I both know that WE CAN heal and WE CAN be free.

Check out podcasts by Deepak Chopra, Dr. Joe Dispenza, Wayne Dyer, Dr. Caroline Leaf.....

Meditate.... learn breathwork.... understand dietary impact on inflammation..... stretch.... self massage.....

DIVE INTO HEALING!!!

You made a mistake. You need not make it again today. And Day 1 is really day year-and-a-half-plus-one. Turn those thoughts to the positive. Our thoughts create our reality.

Old 06-27-2024, 09:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Dangit! We are right around the same timeframe quit wise. The last 15 months were not in vain. You got this.
Old 06-27-2024, 10:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Kensie,

A daily thread sounds like a great idea to commit to sobriety each day. I hope you feel better soon.
Old 06-27-2024, 10:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Kensie - Be proud, not disappointed. You are back & that's what counts.
When I experimented years ago I was not able to stop again for years. You didn't do that.
Old 06-27-2024, 11:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I merged your two identical threads Kensie

D
Old 06-27-2024, 11:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Kensie-
A year and a half is a good amount of time. I know how hard it is when you want fast relief to fall back into the alcohol trap but it will never NOT make things worse.
I know you know this. Just hop back on the horse, so to speak.
As for the sciatica, can you invest in a standup desk? And I've never been to an in person AA meeting but can't you stand in the back? I had the same problem for years until I managed to get it under control mainly by strength training after physical therapy but in the meantime I stood a lot as I also have a desk job.

My very best wishes for you to get some relief and to stay on the sober path.
Old 06-28-2024, 04:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi everyone thank you so much for the kind replies! I'm not giving up this is a momentary lapse I am very grateful that I didn't continue drinking. My boyfriend has agreed to not bring alcohol in the house but he's an alcoholic so I can't count that this is going to last. I've been in sobriety since October of 22 I've had two lapses one time a sip this time a little more because it is available I realize that this is an issue for me I'd like to think I'm strong enough and that it's easy to get anywhere but it does make it difficult when I'm struggling. I did get a cushion for my desk chair that has really been helping. I began exercising daily I had gained some weight since quitting and didn't step into it gently just went full force and it really aggravated it. I'm going back to daily meetings taking my little cushion so I can sit comfortably and not have pain. I think it's important to mention that I lost a good friend in recovery recently too. I can see that my AV took advantage of all these things telling me That's the relief I could find from emotional pain and physical pain would come from alcohol when I know better. Having a relationship with an active alcoholic is very draining and I know I may need to make some changes with my living situation because it's not helping my recovery but it's hard to leave someone who you've been with for a long time and love
​​​​​