Notices

Free biblenand big book

Old 06-21-2024, 05:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ADDICT FIGHTING FOR PEACE AND HAPPINESS

Free biblenand big book

I was needing a big book and a recovery Bible. Is there anywhere that I can get them for free. I am located in pikeville ky
Old 06-21-2024, 05:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
The Dog

Go to an AA meeting. They will give you a big book if you tell them you can't afford one. Call any church on the Bible. If they won't give you one you don't want to go to church there.
Old 06-21-2024, 05:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can likely get a Big Book at any AA meeting in your town, but I'm not sure it would be free. To find a meeting near you, go to aa.org and search for your area. Or you could call AA in your town. You may also be able to find a recovery Bible at a meeting, but I don't know. You're welcome to post here for support, too.

Old 06-21-2024, 05:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Welcome Wagoneer

Hi, Welcome to SR

Stick around and post whatever is on your mind. I found you some links. I hope they help. Feel free to ask any questions you have about recovery. Plenty of people here to help.

For a physical Big Book you might contact: Area 26 is a service body of Alcoholics Anonymous. It covers all of Kentucky, and a few counties in Southern Indiana, Southern Ohio, and Northern Tennessee.

Online addition of the Big Book pdf from the Netherlands is free. Link below (Chrome browser)
https://aa-netherlands.org/big-book-online/

Recovery Bible pdf. Link Below (Chrome browser).
chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://files.tyndale.com/thpdata/firstchapters/978-1-4964-2758-8.pdf

Old 06-21-2024, 06:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
The Dog

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
You can likely get a Big Book at any AA meeting in your town, but I'm not sure it would be free.
A big book is $12 but if you can't afford one they will give you one. I just left a meeting.
Old 06-21-2024, 07:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I found a version of the Bible i could understand, search "Bible ref" and then there is a link to books of the Bible. I think its about time it was translated to actual English. Reading the jibberish, old time English use to drive me crazy.

While you're at it you may want to search AA speakers on you tube. Off the top of my head Bob D is a really good one. Lots of good Christian material on you tube as well.

Old 06-21-2024, 08:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Destineyg

D
Old 06-21-2024, 09:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
beginner

Originally Posted by Destineyg View Post
I was needing a big book and a recovery Bible. Is there anywhere that I can get them for free. I am located in pikeville ky
Hello and welcome. You have found a good and helpful forum.

Please see above about obtaining a copy of the Big Book -- a physical copy is handy to have for meetings where members take turns reading passages and relating those to their own experiences.

As for a recovery Bible -- that's really just some English translation of the Bible with additional essays added from some modern authors commenting on some passages to relate them to the recovery journey.

From my POV, it's important not to get lost in the verbiage. I believe the alcoholic mind is fond of verbiage (as are some other flavors of mind) and can get stuck on that and wander around in verbiage without any progress.

The Bible can be a trellis or cosmoscope for some, and a pleasant mind-trap for others who might delight in the Bible's seeming support for their chronic and perhaps even rabid perniciousness.

From my POV, a Christian approach to AA could be something like this:

1) Admitting that you have a problem that you obviously can't deal with on your own.
2) Considering that Christ the Liberator -- through Whom all things in the Cosmos were made -- is willing to help, but is too polite to impose such help on us little sprouts without an invitation.
3) Get yourself ready to "let go and let God" and then send that invitation.

Don't worry about the other steps for now, or the tempting distractions of plentiful verbiage -- unless or until you find that they really do help in your particular case.
Old 06-21-2024, 09:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found a fair number of hits by googling 'recovery bible free' - if you want one, it shouldn't be that hard to get one Destineyg

D
Old 06-22-2024, 03:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was given a Big Book by a counselor at a community alcohol addiction center. Some places charge for them, but as I recall, the actual cost wasn't much more than one of today's paper backs. I have never heard of a recovery Bible. Do you mean just a regular Bible?
Old 06-23-2024, 02:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

You can read and listen to the big book at silkworth.net

Get to a meeting and ask about a big book; they should give one to you if you can't afford it
Old 06-23-2024, 09:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
beginner

Maybe I should mention there is a translation called "The Holy Bible, Recovery Version" from Living Stream Ministry that does not focus on recovery from addiction and therefore does not have additional notes and essays specifically related to that topic. By that title I think they mean "recovery of accuracy of translation" or something like that.
Old 06-23-2024, 03:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Solar Bear View Post
Maybe I should mention there is a translation called "The Holy Bible, Recovery Version" from Living Stream Ministry that does not focus on recovery from addiction and therefore does not have additional notes and essays specifically related to that topic. By that title I think they mean "recovery of accuracy of translation" or something like that.
Well that answers my question.