Notices

One Year and Under Part 75

Old 07-16-2024, 04:46 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Hope it carried on easing Sam!

LB, it's amazing how little most other people care about whether or what we drink. It's seems the only ones bothered are other problem drinkers. I never think twice now about ordering soda water wherever I go. Oh, our house before last we had a full size pool table in it! I used to be a bit of a hustler in my youth, but tbh I rarely played on the table in the house. We left it there when we moved as it would have been horrendously heavy to shift and the new owners were happy to keep it.
Old 07-16-2024, 07:34 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tootsl1 View Post
Hope it carried on easing Sam!

LB, it's amazing how little most other people care about whether or what we drink. It's seems the only ones bothered are other problem drinkers. I never think twice now about ordering soda water wherever I go. Oh, our house before last we had a full size pool table in it! I used to be a bit of a hustler in my youth, but tbh I rarely played on the table in the house. We left it there when we moved as it would have been horrendously heavy to shift and the new owners were happy to keep it.
I ran into that guy last night. He was buying drinks at last call and looked at me "what are you drinking there?" Water with lime... well yeah but what else is in there. Just ice. He still didn't belive me. About 5 or 6 more questions later he gave up and got 3 drinks for himself. I would love to have a table at home, but it wouldn't change the need to go out and play against the local competition. When I go out I usually shoot 5-6 hours a day. There is a table here in town that pulls some great players. If you keep winning the next challenger pays and racks so it can be fairly cheap night out if you are on your game. I have gotten a lot of offers to join teams for the local leagues. Not really a fan of the current league structure though. They play apa rules to get as many people involved as possible, I prefer straight 8 which is a much greater test of skill. Day 282 today...and there will be pool games tonight!
Old 07-16-2024, 07:54 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  
The Dog

Originally Posted by LowBones View Post
I ran into that guy last night. He was buying drinks at last call and looked at me "what are you drinking there?" Water with lime... well yeah but what else is in there. Just ice. He still didn't belive me. About 5 or 6 more questions later he gave up and got 3 drinks for himself. I would love to have a table at home, but it wouldn't change the need to go out and play against the local competition. When I go out I usually shoot 5-6 hours a day. There is a table here in town that pulls some great players. If you keep winning the next challenger pays and racks so it can be fairly cheap night out if you are on your game. I have gotten a lot of offers to join teams for the local leagues. Not really a fan of the current league structure though. They play apa rules to get as many people involved as possible, I prefer straight 8 which is a much greater test of skill. Day 282 today...and there will be pool games tonight!
I used to love pool league when I was younger and signal in my first years of drinking. My uncle was a pool shark and was very good. He played league here and played national tournaments in Vegas. Those were the days before my drinking ever got out of control. I hate to say it but drinking and shooting pool was fun. Sooner or later in the case of an alcoholic though everything else goes away and drinking becomes the focus. Lee passed away in 2002 from lung cancer. I especially miss what I called the pool shark nights. Lee and I would go to the bar. I would play a game against an opponent at a table and if I was losing Lee would step in for the next game and challenge the gentleman to a wager. Lee lost some games occasionally in league play but never did I see him lose when a wager was made.
Old 07-16-2024, 08:06 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DeplorableDog View Post
I used to love pool league when I was younger and signal in my first years of drinking. My uncle was a pool shark and was very good. He played league here and played national tournaments in Vegas. Those were the days before my drinking ever got out of control. I hate to say it but drinking and shooting pool was fun. Sooner or later in the case of an alcoholic though everything else goes away and drinking becomes the focus. Lee passed away in 2002 from lung cancer. I especially miss what I called the pool shark nights. Lee and I would go to the bar. I would play a game against an opponent at a table and if I was losing Lee would step in for the next game and challenge the gentleman to a wager. Lee lost some games occasionally in league play but never did I see him lose when a wager was made.
sounds like a guy I would get along with. I have drank in the past while playing pool, but the 2 things are not tied together for me. I drank before i made my way to the tables. I don't really recall a time when my drinking was not done in a problematic way. Even early on I would drink to excess. Came home my first time totally hammered at 11 on leftover booze and beer from a neighbors party the night before. Moderation in drinking never became a concept until I realized things were out of hand. Then it was me trying to be in control and convincing myself I only had x number of drinks last night so everything is fine.
Old 07-16-2024, 10:19 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Day 21

Hello all! Just found this community and wanted to say hello. I’m on day 21 after my last relapse and feeling the best I’ve felt since said relapse. Daily meetings, prayer, therapy, and church are really helping. Anywho, hope anyone is doing well and y’all are having a great day!
Old 07-16-2024, 01:27 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Day 21 is good ...those first 3 weeks are rough for a lot of folks including me. Glad you got them behind you.
Old 07-16-2024, 01:36 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to the thread JD60614 and congratulations on 3 weeks

D
Old 07-16-2024, 02:10 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Welcome JD!
Old 07-16-2024, 03:18 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  
The Dog

Originally Posted by LowBones View Post
sounds like a guy I would get along with. I have drank in the past while playing pool, but the 2 things are not tied together for me. I drank before i made my way to the tables. I don't really recall a time when my drinking was not done in a problematic way. Even early on I would drink to excess. Came home my first time totally hammered at 11 on leftover booze and beer from a neighbors party the night before. Moderation in drinking never became a concept until I realized things were out of hand. Then it was me trying to be in control and convincing myself I only had x number of drinks last night so everything is fine.
My drinking has always been worse when bored. If I have something to do such as shoot pool I am not going to get stupid drunk. My problem is as I drink I end up bored as I recover from drinking so I drink more, recover, get bored and drink more. Then I could sober up, go a long time with no drink and then start again. That's why it's so important for me to remain diligent about avoiding the first drink.
Old 07-16-2024, 05:36 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  
Welcome Wagoneer

Welcome JD.

Feel free to join in any and all conversations here at SoberRecovery. I get out of recovery what I put into my recovery. Do the same and in all likelihood your sobriety will be a lasting one. Glad you are here among up
Old 07-16-2024, 05:39 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  

JD!
Old 07-16-2024, 09:19 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Hey JD! Welcome, it’s great to have you here.
Hi Zen!
Wow, Dog. It’s hotter than ever there. How are you doing? How is Levi?? Agreed with you 110%: keeping busy keeps me out of trouble.

I have found that I get questions about what I’m drinking 1. When I’m hosting a dinner party 2. At the bar after a club ride
For some reason ppl ask me why I’m not drinking in those situations. It’s gotten so that I drink a N.A. beer. But sometimes I’m too tired to care. I’ll just say “im not drinking”. Or “I’d rather eat my calories than drink them”.

Anyway this isn’t that important to me. What is important is staying sober!
Had a great trail run tonight. Made some homemade Tom Yum soup. It even has “yum” in the title so you know that it’s good.
Hugs everyone.
Old 07-16-2024, 10:38 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  
The Dog

Levi and I are good. We are supposed to have a major cool down the rest of this week into next week so all will be good.
Just start telling people you don't drink. That is all they need to know and after a while they will quit asking. No use in drinking a NA beer just to appease them. My most common answer if I am out somewhere is, "I would rather drive home sober and not risk killing someone."
Old 07-16-2024, 10:57 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just start telling people you don't drink. That is all they need to know and after a while they will quit asking.
quoted for truth. Be sober and proud I reckon

​​​​​​​D
Old 07-16-2024, 11:18 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pekelover2 View Post
Hey JD! Welcome, it’s great to have you here.
Hi Zen!
Wow, Dog. It’s hotter than ever there. How are you doing? How is Levi?? Agreed with you 110%: keeping busy keeps me out of trouble.

I have found that I get questions about what I’m drinking 1. When I’m hosting a dinner party 2. At the bar after a club ride
For some reason ppl ask me why I’m not drinking in those situations. It’s gotten so that I drink a N.A. beer. But sometimes I’m too tired to care. I’ll just say “im not drinking”. Or “I’d rather eat my calories than drink them”.

Anyway this isn’t that important to me. What is important is staying sober!
Had a great trail run tonight. Made some homemade Tom Yum soup. It even has “yum” in the title so you know that it’s good.
Hugs everyone.
N/A beer is great decoy. I usually grab a 6 pack of the becks when I have car work to do out in the driveway. Then proceed to crack em open around 8 am and leave the empties all over the driveway. Does a great job keeping the neighbors at a distance so I can get my project done.
Old 07-17-2024, 04:17 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  

After a while everyone will know you don't drink. The sooner we stop trying to appease their need to see us trying to be like them the sooner they shut the hell up.
In my experience anyway.

The meeting topic last night became about self worth. Or lack of it.
We care about others perception of us because we "need" to feel liked and accepted by others because we don't like or love ourselves. The sooner we get to loving ourselves the sooner we don't care what others think and we can stop trying to appease those around us.
I feel I give away a piece of my soul everytime I do things just to get folks to like me or think highly of me. I've given away a crap ton of my soul over the decades. I must have started out with a soul the size of the sun to have any still left.
So I guess I'm saying instead of working on the acceptance of others our primary goal needs to be working on acceptance from ourselves.
Then we heal.

LB just the site of work, especially mechanical work in a driveway, is usually enough to keep folks away. 🙂

I've got a couple odd jobs to look at today. I need to pay off some cc purchases I said I wouldn't make until I had the money.
Well I'm a work in progress.
Old 07-17-2024, 06:15 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Grateful

Thanks for the warm welcome, y’all! I look forward to being a part of and contributing to the board. Day 22.
Old 07-17-2024, 06:44 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Welcome, JD...SR is a great place to grow your recovery journey.

With casual people in my life I simply say that I don't drink. That kiss answer covers lots of ground. As for close friends and family, well, they are quite happy that I'm in a sober way. Most have known me for decades and have seen the turmoil that active drinking has caused in my life.

I associate keeping busy with purpose. While life offers a certain amount of busy work, being semi-retired, the bulk of my time with purpose is filled by daily exercise, cooking healthy and working at the Y. Twenty hours a week at a variety of tasks that keep me interacting with mostly wonderful folks. I'm so very fortunate that this certainly last job that I've been at for the past 4 years has by far been the most enjoyable and fulfilling. For most of my sober time purpose resulted in peace and serenity. I'm never in that state when actively drinking.

Best to all.
Carlos
Old 07-17-2024, 07:18 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  
The Dog

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Be sober and proud I reckon

D
Originally Posted by fishkiller View Post
After a while everyone will know you don't drink. The sooner we stop trying to appease their need to see us trying to be like them the sooner they shut the hell up.
Originally Posted by IWLSAST View Post
With casual people in my life I simply say that I don't drink. That kiss answer covers lots of ground. As for close friends and family, well, they are quite happy that I'm in a sober way.
This is easy for me as I once before quit for over twenty five years as I raised three daughters. It became natural for me to say "I don't drink." Therefore when I quit again over a year ago now it didn't take very long at all for it to come back into my vocabulary. That and I am one who for most of my adult life doesn't give the north end of a southbound mule what others think of me. I especially get irritable though when I have to drive home and people ask me why I don't drink. I will get especially rude if I am somewhere on my Harley and someone asks why I won't have a drink. I never was a beer drinker. I only enjoy a few off brand beers that you can't get everywhere. Most common brand beers absolutely disgust me. So the thought of spending my money on a NA beer just to appease the drinkers around me sounds for lack of a better term dumb to me. I would like to hear though why we feel the need to convince others around us we drink. I still have friends that do drink. But if they don't want to be friends because I don't drink then we won't be friends.
Old 07-17-2024, 08:06 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  
The Dog

Day 378 ODAAT