Notices

methadone and weight gain..help!

Old 07-28-2004, 02:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

methadone and weight gain..help!

hi everybody!
ive been taking methadone for about a year and its worked wonders for me in that its allowed me to "rest",collect my thoughts and rethink my life and now thanks to the meth treatment ive been able to get my priorities straight and get my life back on track..for me its been almost a miracle and im so grateful...Compared to all its done for me this seems quite trivial,but its starting to become a real problem for me:in all ive put on about 50 lbs in the past year(since beginning meth treatment)!
I noticed right away,after my first month of treatment ,that i was putting on weight...Id always been a trim person with no weight problems,and even when i was doing heroin had always maintained a practically "normal" lifestyle in that id done my studies,had a job ,a regular home and ate normal healthy regular meals...so my eating habits didnt change at all when i went on methadone...anyway,as soon as i noticed that first month that id put on a pound or two i immediately started "cutting back",and put myself on a diet,just like id always done in the past whenever id put on an extra pound or two(like after the holidays or whatever)..except that this time it didnt work!Not only did i not lose anything,but i even continued to gain more weight!At that point i was getting very worried so I talked to my doctor about it(my regular gp ,who also gives me my methadone) and she put me on an even stricter diet...But that didnt work either!I not only didnt lose,i even continued to put on more weight!Well i eat practically nothing anyway(ive always been that way,before drugs,during drugs,,and now during meth treatment..my eating habits have never changed)
At this point ive put on about 50 lbs and its starting to make me miserable..My doctor wants to help but doesnt know what to do..they ve apparently never heard of weight gain being related to methadone treatments here,i have several friends in the same situation and their doctors have the same surprised and bewildered reaction.My doctor suggests trying to put me on some diuretic drug(stops water retention),its the only treatment she can think of that might help..
Does anyone have any experience with weight gain while on methadone and does anyone know if there's any kind of treatment possible?It would be a real help...!thanks in advance!
Claudine
ps:ive tried reducing the dosage but so far it doesnt seem to make any difference...
Old 07-28-2004, 08:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ive had the same problem..I been on meth since i was 21..im now 23..and ive gained 60 pounds since i been on it...And i too been always thin...Never went above 120 pounds...And now im a wopping 165...I was 172..at my biggest but ive come down on my mg...And i lost weight...When i first got on meth i didnt notice any difference...I was still using i guess...Then 5 months into and i finally stopped using...I began to just sit around...I was afraid to go out places because i was afraid of using...So i stayed home alot and nod out in front of my t.v...Because i was overmedicated because i was using for the first 5 months they kept raising me till i stayed clean...I stayed like that for the first year....And all i did was blow up from a size 1 to a size 12...I never thought id ever wear a 12...I use to look at those sizes and think how can someone allow themselves to get that big..I know thats kinda harsh...But i never knew what it was like to be overweight...Now that i am..I have a new sense of respect for people who suffer from weight problems...And it aint like i been trying to lose....I work out at my gym 3 times a week...I dont eat much only 2 meals a day...Although i do have a soft spot for snicker bars...But i have cut down to eating 2 treats a day..and i dont eat a big serving..So i dont know why i dont see a change...Now i have been eating chocolate only once every other day...But its hard to quit because meth makes you crave sweets just like when your kicking dope..The only time i lost a significant amount of weight was when i tapered down to 50 mg from 110...i went down to 140...And i probably would of went further down if i kept tapering but i was brought back up to 80 mg cause of a relapse and stress i have at home...I have talked to many people in my program about weight gain on methadone...In my program we have groups 4 a day...And weight gain is one of the most talked about besides consitipation..Basically i believe its water weight since most people on the program tend not to drink as much water as they use to...And meth is known to retain water if you dont keep up water intake and fruit..Plus methadone depresses our bodies...So everything slows down...Including our metabolism...And if you dont exercise regularly..And balanced meals you will gain weight,,And once you've gained it it sure is hard to lose it..I know...But i only started back at the gym for the past month...So ill talk to you in 6 months hopefully ill be thinner..But i still know that once i am done with the program ill be back to my old self..Cause i know of 2 people who like me gained a whole bunch since being on the PG...And now that there off they are back to there old weight..So that gives us hope...I wish you the best...And feel free to PM me if need be...I havent been able to talk to other meth takers...And people are so quick to put you down for using methadone as your way to help recover...Jackie
Old 07-29-2004, 05:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

hey jackie
its very reassuring to hear that others have had the same problem,coz the doctors have always said to me that theyve never heard of any correlation between taking methadone and gaining weight..when i first started out i went to a clinic and after the first six weeks i already noticed that i was putting on weight..at that point i was still using half the time,like one week on/ one week off(the clinic would give me 2 weeks worth of meth and id finish it all the first week so the second week id have to go buy heroin..it wasnt even fun,at that point i actually preferred the weeks i had the meth and the dope was just so as not to be sick while awaiting the next meth batch..)Anyway already at that point id noticed i was gaining weight but when i told my doctor at the clinic she gave me the "its only YOU" story,claiming there was no link between meth and weight gain..she would even point out all the other meth patients there and say "do these people seem overweight to you?".;and strangely enough it WAS TRUE that everyone there at the clinic looked thin and normal..I later found out that most of those people were very bad junkies,still using dope,lots had even switched over to coke and crack(going from a dope habit to a meth+crack habit),alot of them were very bad social cases and were homeless,poor and living in the streets(not conducive to good eating habits !),also lots had aids or other serious illnesses that would account for their not putting on weight...Anyway,after about a month and a half i finally got the courage to tell my doctor my dose wasnt sufficient and she raised me to 70(before i was at 50)...as of then i was able to make my meth last the two weeks it was supposed to last and never had to fill in with heroin again...so basically i was then taking only meth ,full time..well i noticed the difference right away!i started putting on twice as much weight,twice as fast,i really saw the difference between taking meth full time and only taking it one week out of two!!
After that first month and a half the clinic passed me on to a regular gp and now i go to her evry two weeks for a 14day script of methadone...so i dont get to see other users anymore and so have no one to really compare notes with...thats why i really appreaciate your answering me and talking to you ...
As you said ive always hoped that ONE DAY,when i finally get off the meth,most likely my weight will go back to normal(after dieting)..so i DO know it wont be like this forever...but still,i intend to reduce my dosage very slowly,over a year,so ive still got some time to go..and i sure would like to return to my normal thin self..What you said is so true:i too have found new respect and compassion for people who are overweight..but im still hoping someone will come up with a solution,some kind of medicine that my doc could give me to counter-act whatever is making me gain like this....its definitely something in the methadone,coz i didnt have it with codeine,and didnt have it with dope,so its not some opioid related problem...
My doctor was able to prescribe me medication that sure helped alot with the sweating problem,so im very hopeful that some solution must exist for this weight side effect too...
As for exercise,i walk alot(more than an hour a day),always have,and im as active now as i was before so my lifestyle cant be the cause of my weight gain...My doc said to me"whatever you do dont start doing lots of sports or working out,itll just make you turn your fat into muscle and you wont trim down... but i never was a very sportsy person anyway(i run all over town on foot and go up and down my 4 flights of stairs millions of times a day..just like i always have) but i dont ever eat candy bars or ice cream or those kinds of foods and never eat in between meals,but like i said nothing much has changed ,my ways are pretty much the same now as they were when i was "normal"(before doing drugd),when i was on dope,and now that im on the meth...
Like you
Old 07-29-2004, 08:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

well here in the states its alil different...Here we arent let to take home methadone...We have to go to our clinic everyday and drink it in front of the nurse...So because of that im able to talk to methadone takers regularly...And you are rite...The only ones who have stayed thin during there time on methadone...The same with me when i was using still on methadone i stayed thin...I mean i wasnt as thin as i was when i was only using heroin...I gained but i went to a normal thin size...And i didnt worry...But when I was completely clean i blew up...And went from a regular size 6 to a size 12...And I couldnt believe it...But i think the reason isnt in the meth but in ourselves what im saying is...When i was using i was so obsessed with heroin and not being sick i would spend all my paychecks and any other money i got on dope..I only ate and drank enough so i didnt drop dead...And i was always running around copping dope...So thats why i stayed thin...But with methadone i dont have to be running around because i get it for free from the state...I dont have to work rite now because i live for free at my moms i have clothes i need my bf gives me run around cash and cigs...So i got lazy to tell you the truth...And even though i dont stuff myself ...I didnt so much and opiates slow down our body functions...Like i sed about our metabolism...So because now i actually eat food ive gained weight...And i have 2 things against me now actually 3...Because i have PCOS, and Hypo Thyroidism...Which both cause you to gain weight..So add that with my methadone use so im glad im not heavier then i am...
To answer what your doctor sed about the fat becoming muscle...I know what hes saying and was afraid of that happening...So thats why i joined a gym made for women and the routines i do is mostly aerobics...and we run in space between the machines..the machines also arent with weights but are air pressured...So it doesnt make you build up like weights do..Ive also notice the difference...Im already noticing how my thighs aint touching as much...And my stomach is feeling tighter..And its only a month and half...I cant wait to see what ill look like this winter...Plus im tapering now...So it will work perfectly..
Well if you got any more questions feel free to PM me...Oh since you dont see the other clients there you should ask your doctor or counselor if they have Methadone Anonymous groups there in France..Here in the states we have them and there real cool because your able to go there and share info on all the stuff we go through medically and mentally while on meth...So try and find out or you can look it up on the computer..Jackie
Old 02-15-2006, 05:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bettyboop326876

Unhappy wieght gain on methadone

Has any one found the salution with the weight gain on methadone I to have gained60 lb on methadone can any one help me