Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read Chat Room [6]

Welcome to the Sober Recovery Community

Already registered? Login above ---^
OR
To take advantage of all Posting, Chatting, Gaming, and all the features available at SoberRecovery, join the over 100,000 current members, and become a member of our supportive community today! Ads will no longer appear on the forums, once you register.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2012, 05:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

What does heroine smell like?

Please advise - I think my bf has crossed over from cocaine (he's meant to be in recovery for almost a year) - to smoking SOMETHING that does NOT smell like weed or hash! The only other drug freely available (where he lives) is heroine and cocaine....what does it smell like?? Sickly sweet/nauseating / stale vomit / urine smell???
And what are the symptoms of someone smoking heroine?? He seems to be perfectly functioning during the day / office - but always goes home early now to 'be by himself' - and seems VERY lethargic and sleepy by late afternoon.....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-19-2012, 06:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

I've never smoked heroin so I can't comment on the smell.

As far as telling whether someone is using opis, a dead giveaway for me was constricted pupils. I never found anything to prevent that from happening, and it is a totally involuntary reaction.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-19-2012, 07:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Like Opio said, definitely try to get a look at his pupils. I've never smoked heroin either, but the powdered stuff around here does have a sweet smell.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

black tar heroin smells like vinegar, it smells when it burns but the smell usually goes away pretty quickly. Unless there's paraphernalia laying around that he used to smoke it. some of the symptoms of heroin are constricted pupils, lethargy, neglecting hygiene, spending a lot of time sleeping, nodding out which is when the persons head literally nods to the point where it looks like they have gone unconscious. If he's smoking heroin it would be off foil. I'm a recovering heroin/drug addict and I was able to appear like I was some what normal early on in my use but once the high wore off all I'd do is sleep. I also isolated a lot (always wanted to be alone). The sad part is you can't help someone that doesn't want to help themselves. You can't force someone into recovery no matter how much you love them they have to make the decision.. Hope this helps and I wish the best for you!
The Following User Says Thank You to lonestarTH For This Useful Post:
Lara (07-20-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 09:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
DAB

Possibly synthetic marijuana otherwise known as spice?
You can still buy it in some headshops around the country.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
kiddo

Constricted pupils and nodding off are the main signs. Itchyness as well.
"I felt singled out. I wanted to be normal and I just wanted someone, anyone to help me. At a point, I finally came to realize that no matter how singled out I felt, there were so many others out there like me. I realised, 'okay, I'm not alone'" - Adam Gontier.
The Following User Says Thank You to Emma18 For This Useful Post:
Lara (07-20-2012)
Old 07-21-2012, 06:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Have you SMELLED the smoke?
I can't tell if the list of scents you listed were a description of what you smelled, or just what you thought maybe heroin smelled like?

I never smoked anything except cigarettes and weed, but I worked in a club where a lot of our employees smoked cocaine/oxycontin/heroin/meth in the bathroom and they each smell different.

I've noticed that oxy always smelled pretty chemical-y, hot and almost bittersweet and the scent lingered, to me at least. Heroin smelled very acidic, tart, pungent.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

Also, I should note, that with oxy smoke it smelled almost like melting plastic, but not as strong. I'm assuming that has to do with the pill binders and acetaminophen, but I'm not sure really.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
~sb

large pupils, that smell you describe, wired then tired reminds me of crack smoking

All Big Book quotes are from the first edition.
Linked with the permission of Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sugarbear1 For This Useful Post:
albeitslowly (07-26-2012), Justfor1 (07-22-2012)
Old 07-22-2012, 02:00 AM   #10 (permalink)

Hi Albeitslowly - thank you for taking time to answer my query - yes, that was what I smelt in the bathroom - but didn't see any smoke - so must have been smoked a few hours before - but that was the lingering smell...
Old 07-22-2012, 02:05 AM   #11 (permalink)

Why change from cocaine to possible crack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
large pupils, that smell you describe, wired then tired reminds me of crack smoking
Hi Sugarbear. thank you for reply.... that's how H seemed..... wired and then suddenly tired and withdrawn... would suddenly remove himself to go and sleep... I did not know what was going on - as believed he is in recovery.... when I asked him why he was acting so odd - he laughed and said he was a little stoned from smoking too much weed / hash - but even though I don't touch any of these drugs, I have been around H enough to know what he's like when smoking hash - and 'wired' he is definitely not! Forgive my ignorance - but is it possible he has gone from snorting cocaine, almost a year in recovery, and now smoking crack?? Why change to crack??? Is crack simply cocaine which you smoke?? What is the difference - is it possible he thinks it somehow more difficult to notice if he is now smoking crack?? Would this explain why he is withdrawing from all of us?? So confused...
Old 07-22-2012, 05:08 AM   #12 (permalink)
Recoveringed

If he has been smoking weed/hash he hasn't been in recovery at all. Your description sounded like it sure could be heroin to me, and it could also get him wired and/or dopey. Either way, he's clearly using drugs and if he's an addict that means he's under the grip of a very serious and potentially deadly condition. If you can smell it, be aware that means you may also be ingesting it. Do not expect the truth from him. Know that as much as you may care about him, you are powerless over his disease. As the fellow partner of an alcoholic/addict I cannot tell you how painful it can be to be close to someone getting so sick. Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse, it would. Recovery can change that completely, but he has to seriously want it and be willing to do whatever it takes to get well. I would hope that would mean seeking help from a program of recovery as I could never have made my way forward without guidance and support. If this is really affecting you, I also highly suggest seeking support and guidance for yourself from a 12 step friends and family program like Alanon or Naranon. It can be a very difficult, painful and confusing road to go alone. If you go into recovery, it is also shown that his chances of getting into recovery himself increase. I feel for you and send my best wishes and hopes for you both.
The Following User Says Thank You to KnowHope For This Useful Post:
albeitslowly (07-26-2012)
Old 07-22-2012, 07:56 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnowHope View Post
If you go into recovery, it is also shown that his chances of getting into recovery himself increase. I feel for you and send my best wishes and hopes for you both.
Thank you Knowhope for sharing. Forgive my ignorance - but when you advise for me to go into recovery - do you mean recovery from 'co-dependency / being addicted to the addict'? That is where I realise I am - I have just posted a new thread under 'family and friends of substance abusers' titled "Liar, Liar, Range Rover on fire'....
Do you think it's imortant that I let H know I am being counselled and 'in recovery'. Whatever I say, as in I know I need to walk away now from H, I still love him and still pray for his recovery. I am the closest person to him - and he does love me. I know that deep in my soul. Do you really think it will help if I share my recovery process with him?
Thank you for listening.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:02 AM   #14 (permalink)
Recoveringed

Lara, my heart really goes out to you! I don't know what the right thing is for you to do, but I know that the friends and family section here has a lot of people with a world of experience so it's great that you're posting there. I did mean recovery in the sense you described if it's really affecting you, which it sounds like it is. If you want to share what you're doing with him, it should be fine to say you're seeking help for yourself, in whatever way you think is appropriate. If you do go to Alanon/Naranon, find a sponsor to make sure you go through the steps, because the recovery on the other side is truly powerful and amazing. If he's open to hearing and talking about it, great - but if he's not done with his own demons it could be less than likely. My SO just did not want to hear about recovery when they were in relapse. Ultimately the best way we can show others how well recovery works is to be the example. Like I've heard it said, "I'd rather see a sermon than hear one any day." I am sending all of my best thoughts to you. I hope you can use each challenge as an opportunity, and I wish the very best for each of you on your journey. Huge hugs
The Following User Says Thank You to KnowHope For This Useful Post:
Lara (07-22-2012)
Old 07-23-2012, 11:36 PM   #15 (permalink)

Vinegar
Old 07-23-2012, 11:37 PM   #16 (permalink)

Or sour/sweet scent.
The Following User Says Thank You to zvaka For This Useful Post:
Lara (07-23-2012)
Old 07-26-2012, 11:20 AM   #17 (permalink)

Cocaine vs. crack vs. heroin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
Hi Sugarbear. thank you for reply.... that's how H seemed..... wired and then suddenly tired and withdrawn... would suddenly remove himself to go and sleep... I did not know what was going on - as believed he is in recovery.... when I asked him why he was acting so odd - he laughed and said he was a little stoned from smoking too much weed / hash - but even though I don't touch any of these drugs, I have been around H enough to know what he's like when smoking hash - and 'wired' he is definitely not! Forgive my ignorance - but is it possible he has gone from snorting cocaine, almost a year in recovery, and now smoking crack?? Why change to crack??? Is crack simply cocaine which you smoke?? What is the difference - is it possible he thinks it somehow more difficult to notice if he is now smoking crack?? Would this explain why he is withdrawing from all of us?? So confused...
Hi Lara,

Based on my experience with my spouse who's currently in detox and until recently had been using/abusing weed, hash, cocaine, crack, heroin, prescription drugs including suboxone, etc. -- here are what I learn so far. Again, based on my own experience.

Coke/crack: when he snorted/smoked these, his mouth would have a smoky, ashy, slightly metallic scent. Cocaine comes in a white powder. Crack is cooked cocaine and as far as I know comes in form of little rocks. Some people make their own crack by using the cocaine powder mixed with baking soda and some other stuff.

If I remember correctly, cocaine is mentally addictive while crack is mentally AND physically addictive, making it harder to quit.

Heroin comes in white or brown powder. My spouse smoked and injected. I don't know if your bf has got this far or not and I pray he hasn't -- but when he smoked it the smell wasn't very detectable for me. When he injected, I could look at his arm and tell by the swollen spot where the needle went. Also, in the case of heroin injection, if you play detective a little around the house you might run into suspicious items such as cotton balls, steel wool, burnt spoons, and the most obvious, used needles.

The first time I caught him was actually when I saw a CVS flyer describing how to safely dispose needles after use lying in our car. I also accidentally overheard him talking to his dealer one day. Usually he wouldn't go over 3 days without confessing to me what he did. So far he's been in detox a few times in the last couple of months or so including at the moment.

I can't say I know exactly how you feel, but I've been there (and still am) and the pain has been tremendous. I tried to kill myself a few times and have thought of it many, many times I had to seek help. Al-Anon meetings, therapy (no medications involved - talk only), speaking with friends, reading, writing, playing music engaging in activities, taking walks.... are some of the things that have helped me get through each day. In AA, NA, Al-Anon they say "just for today", "one day at a time", though sometimes if that's not enough you have to break it down smaller: "just for this moment", "one moment at a time."

Don't hesitate to reach out and get all the help you can for YOURSELF. Your bf is suffering from his addiction, but you are also suffering from this whole experience of being with an addict. He is not the only one who needs help; you both do. I've tried to help my spouse as much as I could, but given the way I've dealt with things, I'm the one who needs a lot of help to work through my issues as well.

EVERYBODY has issues; the question is how we deal with our issues, how we can learn to love and take care of ourselves, so we can do that our beloved. To be honest this is still very difficult for me to do, since I've always tried to please people and wanted them to love me and focused on them instead of me. I still do that now, though I'm slowly learning to give myself too some of *my* attention and care. I hope you'll do the same for you. The fact that you're here looking for advice is a very good start, and I can tell you really care about your bf. I don't want you or anyone to get to the low points I did, nor do I want you to feel lost and lonely in this confusing mess that addiction has caused both of you. Look through this forum and other sites to learn about what addiction entails and even how these drugs affect people. Not to dwell into *his* drug problems, but to give you an idea of how much of a struggle it is and most importantly, why there is NOTHING you can do for the addict. The addict's mind is wired in a very different way from that of a non-addict.

A lot of users on this forum have been there, done that, and shared part of that mentality with others - as much as could be put down into words I think. I've read this forum many times but only signed up today, and yours is the first post I've responded to, probably since we're in two quite similar situations. Keep reaching out and try different things to make yourself feel better. Remember, even though there might be moments in which you feel completely alone, frustrated, confused, angry, sad, or numb, a lot of people are willing to help you and want you to get better, for so many have been through similar rollercoasters that could have killed them. I wish you the best and please write if you have ANY question or concern or want to share anything - even if you think it's silly or weird or whatever, because trust me, it most likely isn't.

Big hugs,
S2S.

Life is the biggest question to which Love is the only answer.

The Following User Says Thank You to Somber2Sober For This Useful Post:
Lara (07-29-2012)
Old 07-28-2012, 04:00 PM   #18 (permalink)

There's a difference between crack and cocaine, there both cocaine, but smoking crack gives a more intense high the cocaine but it doesn't last as long. What about meth could he be smoking meth, not sure what that smells like. Though if he was using cocaine I wouldn't be surprised if he relapsed using crack, it is much cheaper then cocaine, and it gives an more intense high when you smoke it then snort it.
The Following User Says Thank You to pinkgurl87 For This Useful Post:
Lara (07-29-2012)