Notices

Opiate addicts and sugar

Old 10-13-2008, 11:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Opiate addicts and sugar

Hi everyone I was wondering if anyone craves sugar like I do. I never had this problem before I stopped using. I want candy all the time in the morning middle of the night all the time. I am currently on 70 mg of methadone daily and I hope this craving will end or does anyone know if it will continue or fade as long as I am on meth.? I have heard of other people craving chocolate or sweets when they were sick but I don't really know if it's a common side effect or what. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-13-2008, 11:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Whenever I was on opiates I would drink copious amounts of cola... like literally 4L a night. Incidentally, when I stopped taking opiates, I stopped drinking cola too.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When I was hooked on oxy's, I lived on sugary snacks. The link between opiates and craving sugar is well-documented. In other words, it would be considered more unusual the fact that you didn't crave sweets when you were 'using', than the fact that you do crave them now that you're on methadone. Assuming you're not diabetic, or *dangerously* overweight, personally, I wouldn't worry too much about it, as long as you don't live on sweets, get some healthy stuff into your system as well, and brush your teeth often ... the sweets aren't gonna kill ya ...
Old 10-13-2008, 11:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When I was coming off Oxy's all I wanted was sugar! This was really weird for me because I am not a 'sweets' person (I'm more salty). During the process of coming off I did give in to the cravings because it really made me feel better! Good luck!
Old 10-13-2008, 11:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Due to my sweet tooth whilst dopin I had to get a LOT of dental work done. Now I have a Burt Reynolds smile.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by windysan View Post
Due to my sweet tooth whilst dopin I had to get a LOT of dental work done. Now I have a Burt Reynolds smile.
Dude, no doubt. My teefs are f****d UP, big time. Probably have like 10 cavities, most of them quite small, but not all. I'm waiting on an inheritance check from my late grams that will allow me to take care of the situation. Should be soon, and I'm very much looking forward to it. I was doing like THE WORST possible combination ... lots of really sour candy, lots of coca-cola, dope, speed, staying awake for days on end without remembering to brush my friggin teeth, since I almost never went to bed, and hence hardly ever 'woke up' either. I was a disgusting mess, lemme tell ya.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Pretty much the same as me bvaljalo, I have a huge hole in one of my molars that I have to get filled pronto and a cavity developing on one of my front teeth. I have so many fillings at this point its like I'm 40.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Weelll, I am in my 40s...lol...and I had to have tons of dental work when I came off the opiates as well. I spent my whole tax check on it last year, but it's OK, because I still have teeth! So yeah, that's a real normal thing, the sugar craving. My suggestion to you is not deny yourself sugar whilst kickin dope. That's too much to deal with all at once.
KJ
Old 10-13-2008, 09:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've been clean for about a year (Suboxone for about 3 mos) and I am back to diet soda and very little candy. I've lost a ton of weight and feel great. Rehab had all kinds of candy there. I ate my share of it. It was better than using so I was fine with it while it was happening. I eat very little suger or carbs these days and feel awesome.

All in good time.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yeah, I have like, a starburst problem...
Old 10-14-2008, 04:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Originally Posted by bvaljalo View Post
Dude, no doubt. My teefs are f****d UP, big time. Probably have like 10 cavities, most of them quite small, but not all. I'm waiting on an inheritance check from my late grams that will allow me to take care of the situation. Should be soon, and I'm very much looking forward to it. I was doing like THE WORST possible combination ... lots of really sour candy, lots of coca-cola, dope, speed, staying awake for days on end without remembering to brush my friggin teeth, since I almost never went to bed, and hence hardly ever 'woke up' either. I was a disgusting mess, lemme tell ya.

Dude, go across the border and find a good, reputable Mexican dentist. You'll pay 1/10th and get a better job.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

can someone tell me how to change my screen name?
Old 10-15-2008, 07:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Windy, Burt Reynolds teeth, OK; please don't tell me you have the Burt Reynolds mustache though?
Old 10-15-2008, 08:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

No. I have a Magnum PI moustache.

Not really. LOL
Old 10-15-2008, 09:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????
Old 10-15-2008, 10:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I've never been an opiate addict but I ate a lot of sugary things whilst I was using cocaine and now that I've quit I'm drinking sugary drinks by the gallon!

I've got have dental work done to replace my veneers but I'm really p*ssed off that, although they were guaranteed for another six years, I've got to pay £8,000 to have them replaced because it was my fault. Still, it's cheaper than cocaine!
Old 10-15-2008, 10:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Try, try, try again!

Originally Posted by stefffanyy View Post
Hi everyone I was wondering if anyone craves sugar like I do. I never had this problem before I stopped using. I want candy all the time in the morning middle of the night all the time. I am currently on 70 mg of methadone daily and I hope this craving will end or does anyone know if it will continue or fade as long as I am on meth.? I have heard of other people craving chocolate or sweets when they were sick but I don't really know if it's a common side effect or what. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!!!!!!!!!!
Actually, when I was on methadone I craved sugar worse than when on any other opiate. I read something online also about meth causing sugar cravings and promoting weight gain. I didnt gain weight on it but that was only because I barely ate!
Old 10-15-2008, 12:53 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thats funny....no i never ate when i was on opiates...but when i got on methadone all you do is eat and get fat and lay around and sleep and you are a walking zombee....sucks!!!!!!

another wierd thing...when i was on methadone i could not eat spicy things....like i LOVE LOVE LOVE hot wings from BW3s but i couldn't eat them on methadone....i craved bbq wings and sweet stuff on my meat....strange stuff i tell ya1

but on suboxone i ate normallly...got my hot cravings back...heck yes!
Old 10-15-2008, 03:48 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Try, try, try again!

Yeah methadone is weird. Most people eat more on it but I had no appetite. I think because I was abusing it/