Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

What does crack and methamphetamine smell like?

Notices

Old 08-29-2008, 07:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I smelt some burning chemical smells coming from next door a few times in the past 2 weeks. People coming in and out of there very stoned, drunk, etc... I am wondering if it could be crack or methamphetamine.

NH7
Old 08-29-2008, 08:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Crack has a very sweet smell. Meth smells kinda like melting plastic.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

If your concerned I would call the police and report it.

Meth to me always smelled like ammonia or cat urine,
or a strong chemical, can't think of which one I'm
thinking of.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Yep, share your concern with the local police department. A strong chemical smell could indicate methamphetamine manufacturing.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

Originally Posted by zencat View Post
Yep, share your concern with the local police department. A strong chemical smell could indicate methamphetamine manufacturing.

You don't want that crap cooking next door to you--very dangerous.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thankyou......It isn't a sweet smell, it would seem closer to a burning plastic smell. It's an aweful smell. But I am so concerned because there are also children next door.

If someone was "smoking" it, how long would the smell linger?

If someone was "cooking" it, how long would the smell linger?

What would ones eyes look like smoking it, pin pointed, or dialated?

Would smells like that effect me and my child?
Old 08-29-2008, 11:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by NeedingHelp7 View Post
Thankyou......It isn't a sweet smell, it would seem closer to a burning plastic smell. It's an aweful smell. But I am so concerned because there are also children next door.

If someone was "smoking" it, how long would the smell linger?

If someone was "cooking" it, how long would the smell linger?

What would ones eyes look like smoking it, pin pointed, or dialated?

Would smells like that effect me and my child?

Yea it would affect you both. That stuff is nasty, if it's meth there is always a chance of a fire.

I wouldn't worry to much about pupils and eyes and all of that,
I would just call the police if it were me.
You don't want to mess with meth dealers.
They carry guns, and aren't afraid to use them.

Trust me I was threatened over $X0.00 (his mistake)
They don't play.

I'll see if I can find some info. on meth houses.

Recognizing a Meth House/Structure

Cleaning up Former Methamphetamine Labs

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/680939

How to Detect and Report a Meth Lab - Associated Content
Old 08-29-2008, 11:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The smell from crack is a sweet faint chemical smell & doesn't linger very long. You possibly might smell amonia if they are cooking large quantites but it doesn't take long to cook, and the smell disappates very quickly. Just talking about it makes me feel ill.

Call the police if you think people are cooking meth next to you. It is very dangerous.

Whatever it is, I wouldn't suggest you let your kid breath it in. It can't be good for them.

I repeat, if you are worried, call the police. Sounds like a dangerous situation.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the links too. Her daughter had severe breathing problems a week ago. Her mother told me she had pneumonia in both lungs, so she took her to her grandparents last Thurs (in the heat of everything going on), but her little son was in the house . I read the chemicals can cause severe breathing and lung problems... I was wondering about the eyes because my neighbors eyes were very pinpointed pupils, wide and red but I know some pills can cause eyes to look that way as well. I'm just trying to figure out what drug is going on there.

We smelt it through the walls, so I'm worried about us too. The smell lingered a little while, possibly 30 to 45 minutes, so I don't know if it was being cooked or smoked or both.

Thanks.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

I'm not sure why you haven't called the cops yet. If your worried, and can smell it through the walls? You can try and figure it out all you want, (why does it matter what drug it is) but you could possibly be in danger. Your not the police it's not really your place to try and figure this stuff out.
NOT trying to be a bitch, Just saying, meth dealers don't play. You don't want to get hurt if that is the case.

:ghug2
Old 08-29-2008, 02:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

WHAT TO DO IF YOU COME ACROSS A METH HOUSE:

Stay Calm - Keep your distance and never take matters into your own hands.

Protect Yourself – Leave immediately or do not approach the structure or confront its occupants. Both meth labs and meth users are extremely dangerous and unpredictable.

Protect Others – Alert any innocent bystanders who may be in imminent danger, such as children playing in the front yard of a home you believe may contain a meth lab.

Alert Law Enforcement – Alert local law enforcement authorities without delay.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Who's gonna protect her once she calls the cops?
Old 08-29-2008, 02:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have never seen or smelled either. What I do know is:

Meth is made using some of the nastiest, most volatile chemicals you can imagine. When a meth lab is discovered in my rural northwest area, it costs at least $50-$100,000 to bring in a hazmat team to clean it up. That cost is borne by the local taxpayers.

As a school principal, I would sometimes smell chemicals on some young students. It raised suspicions and concern for their safety. I would relay that to our liason officer. Exploding trailers are not uncommon in this area.

I would consider it an extreme concern if I lived near makers or users. It is a culture of danger in many ways.

Peace

warren
Old 08-29-2008, 02:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
Who's gonna protect her once she calls the cops?

Well you don't have to leave your name, nor does she give the meth dealers her name.

Like Warrens said, it's not uncommon for these places to explode. Who protects her then?
It's up to her, that's just what I would do...
Old 08-29-2008, 02:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Stopping the Train...

Location: Sevierville, TN - in the valley of the Great Smoky Mountains
Meth is not something you want cooking next door. These are ticking time bombs and explosions are a very real danger. It smells very much like melting plastic...a very sharp, caustic smell. Not only can the element of the people themselves be dangerous, but the explosive nature of the cooking process and the chemicals leaching from the home can affect neighbors, too. When I was a teenager looking to buy we used to frequent one particular neighborhood that had several houses cooking in what we called "Sherwood Forest". All the streets had names from Robin Hood.

All calls reported to the police are strictly confidential. The smells from a home like that can be detected by many neighbors...or even passersby in a moving car. The smell is that strong.

Please call the police. Houses that have blown up have also damaged adjacent homes and innocent bystanders. The law wants these meth labs. Everyone who becomes involved is kept in strict confidence...and you can remain anonymous if that's how you feel safest.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by warrens View Post
When a meth lab is discovered in my rural northwest area, it costs at least $50-$100,000 to bring in a hazmat team to clean it up. That cost is borne by the local taxpayers.
We're stuck in a trailer park that had a trailer removed because the inhabitants were selling meth out of it. It had an escape hatch in the floor. Of course, our slumlords didn't tell us that until after we signed the paperwork.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
We're stuck in a trailer park that had a trailer removed because the inhabitants were selling meth out of it. It had an escape hatch in the floor. Of course, our slumlords didn't tell us that until after we signed the paperwork.

omg, that should be illegal. That's terrible. I'm sorry..
Old 08-29-2008, 03:02 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Stopping the Train...

Location: Sevierville, TN - in the valley of the Great Smoky Mountains
Here's a few visuals:
Riverside County Drug Endangered Children

Taken from another website:

MEDICAL CONDITIONS

A recent two-year study in Benton and Linn Counties indicated that 44% of children removed from meth lab homes tested positive for meth. The long-term ramifications of this exposure are just beginning to be studied. Lack of pediatric, medical, and dental care is common in meth houses. Preventable prenatal complications include premature birth, congenital deformities, and drug addiction. Children from these homes may also face learning disabilities. Children found at meth lab sites may also show signs of liver damage, malnutrition, dehydration, and breathing disorders.

POSSIBLE INDICATORS

Some possible indicators that you may have a meth lab in your neighborhood:

· Strong chemical odors like acetone, ammonia, ether.

· Unusual amounts of activity in and out of a residence, or unusual late night activity.

· Paranoid or unusual behaviors.

· Unusual trash, such as lots of over-the-counter cold medicine containers, automotive fuel additives, camping fuel, starter fluid containers, drain cleaners, or red stained coffee filters.

· People bringing things to trade.

· Children unattended or neglected.

· Children regularly in dirty clothes.

· Unreported fires.

· Blackened out or covered windows.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by Done-With-It View Post
Well you don't have to leave your name, nor does she give the meth dealers her name.

Like Warrens said, it's not uncommon for these places to explode. Who protects her then?
It's up to her, that's just what I would do...
I hear ya. But, I grew up in the ghetto and have seen what has happened to some people who are even suspected of dropping a dime. It sounds like she lives in an apartment complex and these are the people directly adjacent to her.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:08 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

dooknob,
the 911 system is truly anonymous now if you want to have anonymity. You can call from a payphone if you don't trust that, but believe me, the only way the police can access your info is if you're:

a. the subject of a wire tap, and really, how likely is that? Unless you are in organized crime, or a member of a distribution ring, highly unlikely. Wire taps are very hard to get signed by judges. They are rare.

b. you make a terroristic threat that may compromise national security. There is a law that search and seizure warrants aren't needed to investigate your private phone calls if you make terroristic threats.

Police aren't trying to upset the people who report stuff like this by tipping off the suspects.
And most police are just trying to do their job and make things a little better out there.
I get so tired of the negative opinions on police on here and out in the program that I hear. I know that in active addiction, some of us were arrested and that made us unhappy about law enforcement, but hopefully, that negative association can end now and we can work through that resentment.

Many of us have loved ones that give up so much in service of law enforcement, and believe it or not, some of us in recovery are also in law enforcement. Peace.

KJ