Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Special-Interest Groups > Recovery and Pain Management
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read Chat Room [3]

Welcome to the Sober Recovery Community

Already registered? Login above ---^
OR
To take advantage of all Posting, Chatting, Gaming, and all the features available at SoberRecovery, join the over 100,000 current members, and become a member of our supportive community today! Ads will no longer appear on the forums, once you register.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2009, 02:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

advice on alcohol withdrawals!

I have no desire at ALL to drink anymore.... and the withdrawals are just too intense. im scared. ive had a drinking problem for about 3 years now, but recently ive had a bottle of vodka a day. Everyday i want to stop, but the withdrawals are too much to handle! what should i do? please... any advice would be of help! I want to be on the road to recovery, but I don't know how to get past the withdrawal faze. How many days does it last? are there any home remedies i could do... anything i could eat or take? i just need advice to get past this!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-28-2009, 03:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hi man

I read your other post, you need to go to another doctor or if you have some money find an alcohol counseller who will help you with this...they will know the places to go and get through detox. As the person said in the other post you could try ER, they may be able to prescribe you some pills to come off. Can you tell more about what withdrawl symptoms you have and how long you tried to stop before?
Old 01-28-2009, 03:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

Alcohol withdrawals are nothing to be messed with. Many withdrawals/detox from other drugs are difficult and make you very sick, but most aren't life threatening, alcohol withdrawal can be. They can cause serious health problems including death. I recommend going to a treatment facility for medically managed detox which will give you supervised care to get you through the initial stages. Usually detox lasts a few days to around a week. The first week is tough but after you get through that you can focus on recovery.

I can't stress enough don't try to detox alone, it's not worth the risk. Good Luck, sobriety is worth it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-28-2009, 04:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahgr8 View Post
Hi man

I read your other post, you need to go to another doctor or if you have some money find an alcohol counseller who will help you with this...they will know the places to go and get through detox. As the person said in the other post you could try ER, they may be able to prescribe you some pills to come off. Can you tell more about what withdrawl symptoms you have and how long you tried to stop before?
a woman told me that i could just go to a doctor and they would prescribe me vallium and i could do the detox at home. ive had a drinking problem for a while, but ive never had withdrawals at all before. Only in the last few days have i been feeling terrible! I tried to stop 2 days ago, and then today... and today ive been feeling really weak and wobbly... i went to the school doctor and counselor and met with them... but the doctor wouldn't give me medicine. he said i had to do a full on detox, but i don't have the money for that, bc its for some reason not covered on insurance bc of preexisting conditions? even tho i never reported that before. but then after all that i tired to lay down bc i felt like i was tired, but i couldnt sleep... then i got up and tried doing stuff but i was just so shaky and then i started to feel really uneasy. it kind of felt like i was having a panic attack....i know a lot of that feeling is me feeling SO SCARED. my heart races. i freaked out and had to go to the store. i was so wobbly and weak walking there... and when i got there i was shaking so badly i could barely sign my name on the receipt. so embarassing right? im more embarassed than anything about this addiction. it crept up on me so quickly and im not exactly sure at all what got me to this point.
but anyways, what do you think about the vallium and doing it at home?
Old 01-28-2009, 09:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

hmm i can't tell you if the symptoms are from anxiety and being scared which would mean they are perfectly normal or whether it is your body reacting to the detox thats the problem! personally and i was prescribed pills for detox which i chose not to take and got through it within 4 days, although i felt like crap for weeks, would keep going after 2 days and have someone who cares about me either staying round or at least very aware of what i am trying to do. Do you have any friends or family that would help you through the first week or so? I don't know your situation but even if it meant going home and coming out this is much more important than potentially having to repeat a year...i hope that helps? PM me if you want to, ill get it quicker!
Old 02-02-2009, 04:42 AM   #6 (permalink)

Hi, I spoke with my Doctor and was advised on a controlled slow reduction process to minimise withdrawal symptoms. I have medication to assist but basically I am reducing my intake every day and keeping a diary of liquid intake (including alcohol), food, withdrawal symptoms I feel and importantly when I take a drink - the reasons for this. With regular visits to your doctor you can tackle this as an outpatient.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

i used to drink vodka everyday and when i quit i was just sick of it and stopped.. i actually liked alcohol withdrawal , it lasted about 3-4 days and i had really vivid dreams and nightmares and sweats at night. no big deal it was pretty cool. but i am a very unusual person. i probably would not recomend that. alcohol withdrawal can be life threatening, hope you make it bro.