Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Social Groups > Interactive Word Games
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read Chat Room [4]

Welcome to the Sober Recovery Community

Already registered? Login above ---^
OR
To take advantage of all Posting, Chatting, Gaming, and all the features available at SoberRecovery, join the over 100,000 current members, and become a member of our supportive community today! Ads will no longer appear on the forums, once you register.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2005, 10:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

What exactly are these tiny brown dots on the wall?

I’ve “google-searched” forever now and can’t find anything that I’m sure matches what I’m talking about.

Some of my walls and ceilings have these teeny tiny brown spots on them in several areas and they seem to be in tiny groups of about 5 or so. It is not fuzzy. The likely culprit is mold or mildew but I want to make sure and have found no photos that match what I’m talking about.

Does this sound familiar to any of you? All my internet searching has only put me on overload with no absolute answer.

There HAS been water damage in this home. Another question if a roof leaked in the past does the insulation need removed? The attic does not seem to smell moldy but then again I didn't stay too long either it's scary looking up there!

Three little birds, sat on my window. And they told me I don't need to worry.
--Corinne Bailey Rae
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-21-2005, 11:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Leader

Hi Cloudy,
Back when I allowed smoking in the house I had spots familiar to what your describing. And they're a real bear to keep covered. If its a damp place as well, they will somehow seep through a new coat of paint too.
If you don't smoke but someone did heavily in the past its possible that they're seeping through.
Cece
Old 12-21-2005, 04:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

thanks Cece! this probably sounds nuts but if that's what it is I'll be thrilled. As long as it's not some human or house destroying thing I'm ok. Not that I won't clean it or anything but I'm "ok" with it. I just wish there were pictures on the net that match it and say "this is what this is!" I was really surprised to not find much other than "too much" stuff but not exactly mine.

--Corinne Bailey Rae
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-21-2005, 07:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

This may sound gross, but have you had flies in the house. We had a problem a few years ago when we had alot of flies and we couldn't figure out where they were coming from and it took a while to get it under control. They left little brown/dark spots like that on the walls and ceilings. It's fly poop.

We finally found out that a stray cat had gotten into our crawl space and died. (that's where the flies were coming from).

There is a product called 'Spray Nine' that works really well and kills bacteria quickly.

I came into this program to save my a**
and found out it was attached to my soul. --
Anonymous
Old 12-21-2005, 08:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ann
Forum Leader

This is what mold looks like...

I've been checking it out because something in my house is causing me allergies, and there is nothing apparent that I can see. I'm also checking for mold but haven't found any yet. It's not Toby, because we had him for years in Toronto and it never bothered me.

Let us know what it turns out to be.

Hugs
Ann

Ann
Old 12-21-2005, 09:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Don't get undies in a bunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by namommy
It's fly poop.
That would be my first thought *LOL*

Depending on where it is located and what the walls are made of (or ceiling) that would be my first guess. If the ceiling over the bathtub and shower, my first guess would be mold or mildew.
Fiberglass insulation should dry out if it has gotten wet. Cotton based insulations or paper based insulations could be a source of mold and if not dry - they will keep grwoing the mold. Wallpaper that has gotten wet can draw moisture from the air. In winter the air is dry and mold shouldn't be growing. Wallpaper paste can be made from wheat base and that would make for a good food source for mold.

Recovery Related Acronym

B. E. S. T. = Been Enjoying Sobriety Today?
Old 12-21-2005, 09:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Psalm 118:24

What Best said!!!!

J - Jesus first
O - Others next
Y - Yourself last

John 14:6
Old 12-22-2005, 05:29 AM   #8 (permalink)

Haha! LOL …Yeah, I did find out about fly poop when I was searching the net! I don’t know… there were never many flies when I have ever been there but I was gone for 4 months and came back to a loooot of trash all over the place inside and out. Maybe it is fly poop. I don’t know though… There is a moisture issue there. I have seen small spots of mold (this is different than that though) like pictured in Ann’s post but cleaned that right up (apparently the pipes burst downstairs while I was gone – perhaps something to do with that lovely (not) meth cooking…and even without that the moisture has to be watched, plus there was serious water damage when the leaked in ‘03 (you can tell by the holes in the ceilings :-) haha! This is sounding awful! Believe it or not I still love my poor house that has been so badly through the ringer. I love it and stress about taking care of it. What do I want for Christmas? To wake up with the knowledge of Bob Villa cause my home repairs for dummies ain’t working…lol this just gets more pathetic as I go!

I hope it is fly poop, now that is scary! But as long as it’s something that can be cleaned up and delt with at least somewhat easily I am happy. Still though, am just not sure what it is.

Thanks for all the replies. If I find out for sure, I’ll post it :-)

--Corinne Bailey Rae
Old 12-22-2005, 06:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
the girl can't help it

I believe mold and yeast allergies are at the root of many if not most illnesses. I have seen a brown mold before. I unfortunately lost most of my referrence books in a flood. I will see if I can find something on it. Stuff like this really interest me the study of mirco-biology is one of my hobbies....

I would like to suggest that you clean it with *bleach or white vinegar and soda mixed with water
The amounts of each ingredient as follows

2 cups water

1/4 cup baking soda

3 capfuls(of the bleach bottle)*white vinegar can substitute for bleach

put water in in clean spray bottle first then soda then add *bleach or white vinegar....
the combination will bubble with the bleach or vinegar.

***Please make sure that the bottle you use has never had ammonia in it as the combination with bleach or vinegar is a toxic fume***
Old 12-22-2005, 06:27 AM   #10 (permalink)

thank you Splendra! :-) I think I will try that with the vinegar (some is on ceiling so I figure I better stay away from bleach in case it drips on my head! plus I am sensitive to the bleach I used it downstairs 1 cup to a gallon of water, it was ok once I put on a mask though) I like your recipe that sounds very effective with the bubbling. thanks again!

--Corinne Bailey Rae
Old 12-22-2005, 06:31 AM   #11 (permalink)

Splindra has given you a great recipe for getting rid of it on the surface but by the pictures you have a lot of moisture coming in either under the carpet or behind the base board / wall. Clean it well for its black mold and can make you ill. After you clean it off you can paint it with varnish and then a good sealant paint to stop the spots from coming back through the paint. You have to find where the moisture is coming from for you have way too much for the mold to grow so heavy. I have dealt with this in several homes and know you have to get to the root of the moisture before you can stop the growth. But to keep mildew from bleeding through the paint you will need to cover the area with varnish.

Good luck!
_________
Beck
Old 12-23-2005, 08:15 PM   #12 (permalink)

oh mannn?!?! what the -

ok, I found something that matches the description, although this is something that generally hits OUTSIDE things such as your car, the OUTside of your house, etc.

Artillery fungus

HOW in the heyell no, WHY in the heyell, no WHAT in the heyell....?!?!

--Corinne Bailey Rae