Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Mental Health Issues > Grief and Loss
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read Chat Room [4]

Welcome to the Sober Recovery Community

Already registered? Login above ---^
OR
To take advantage of all Posting, Chatting, Gaming, and all the features available at SoberRecovery, join the over 100,000 current members, and become a member of our supportive community today! Ads will no longer appear on the forums, once you register.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2008, 01:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Clyde's Bonnie

Baker Act

Does anyone know persoanlly about the Baker Act or has had experience in it with themselves, family or friends??? My friend who lost his girlfriend and daughter to murder/suicide seems to need it. He has a therapist but it isnt working, and a few days ago he was puking and pooping blood from the medicine hes been taking illegally mixed with his doctors prescribed meds and drinking. So next action we believe to be good would be under this act, as he seems to be harming and neglecting himself. He refused to go to the hospital after 911 was called and paramedics advice was to go.:praying

:boat - Gene Wilder
"Charlie and the Chocolate Factory"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-20-2008, 05:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
To Life!

I don't know what the laws are in CT, but, in RI, if you are a danger to yourself or others, you can be involuntarially committed for a 24 hour watch; longer if they still deem you to be a danger.

However, each state sets it's own laws. They can be quite different. In MASS, five minutes down the street from where I live, if a person is an addict/alcoholic or homeless for any reason, and it's dangerously cold outside, they can and will take you in to protect you. The law assumes that there's something wrong with you if you won't come in out of the deathly cold. In RI, the law will allow people to freeze to death; and they do, every year.

You can call your state attorney general to find out the specifics in CT. Also, you can call a county mental health center. Finally, you can call the counselor. They cannot talk to you, but, *you* can talk to them!

I wish you all well...

Shalom!

IMAGINE
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-21-2008, 05:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

I've heard of the Baker Act, but have no personal knowledge about it. As Teach suggested, I would definitely check with the state or county health department where he lives. Prayers that he gets the help he needs at this time.

~ While the light lasts I shall remember
and in the darkness I shall not forget ~
Old 01-21-2008, 10:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
Community Greeter

I'm sorry I live in a different country and I have no experience of this.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Technically Baker Act is in reference to the State of Florida believe it or not. Out here in California we call it the 5150 after the penal code.

it depends on the state, and even the police department. In my county, its hard as heck to get a 5150, all you have to say is "I won't hurt myself" even if they just pumped your stomach of pills and brought you out of a coma.

Copyright © 2005 - 2014 Shockozulu
Old 01-22-2008, 03:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Clyde's Bonnie

wow alera, thats crazy that all you have to say is your fine. Wouldnt you think that maybe people who are going to kill themselves aren't able to make sense and dont want help...thats why they kill themselves, because they dont see a problem and furthermore they dont want others to see a problem and they usually hide it by saying they dont need help!!!!

:boat - Gene Wilder
"Charlie and the Chocolate Factory"
Old 01-23-2008, 10:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Social Network Moderator

I don't know the laws in your state, but Teach had excellent suggestions. I know that in GA, a family member can have someone committed but I don't know about friends.

Hugs and prayers to you and your friend!

Amy

"You got what it takes you can win, today is your day to begin. - Shania Twain

(Tinker, Elvis [RIP], Patches [RIP] and Mots - Mouth Of The South)
Old 01-24-2008, 11:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
same planet...different world

We looked into this on a few occasions when I was tending bar. In Montana, there is no law like that ... either for family OR for friends.

They just ... expect you to watch them commit suicide, it seems.

And we did.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDRADAVID View Post
wow alera, thats crazy that all you have to say is your fine. Wouldnt you think that maybe people who are going to kill themselves aren't able to make sense and dont want help...thats why they kill themselves, because they dont see a problem and furthermore they dont want others to see a problem and they usually hide it by saying they dont need help!!!!
It is crazy. We need to find the fine balancing line between patients rights and families rights. The law here is very strict on "danger to self or others" and if you say you won't hurt yourself, then you are no longer a danger to self.

I recently took a class, I'm determining what type of service law I will practice, and we had a caseworker from the local county hospital come in. She discussed the need for these clients to have representation, not only to help them get out of the hospital, but also to get in and receive treatment when they may not realize it.

Copyright © 2005 - 2014 Shockozulu