Notices

Melatonin for anxiety?

Old 01-11-2009, 02:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Melatonin for anxiety?

This past week I started popping melatonins during the day to try to deal with what is bordering on panic disorder. They don't work all that well, but maybe I am not taking enough. The most I've taken at one time is 3 mg. I am just trying to get through the day in my last week on the job. I do have insomnia and have been taking melatonin PLUS Lunesta at night. I wake up after two hours with both.

Anyway, I am seeing my psychiatrist tomorrow, and I am going to BEG for Klonopin just to get through this last week - and then never do a job like this again. That and join Toastmasters to overcome fear of speaking in front of others. I don't know why this is getting to me so much. I've felt competent in other jobs and never dealt with this except for 30 years ago when I could not sit in an office with the door shut. I thought I was beyond this.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

For me I only use them to sleep , I was told that if you take them constantly you build up an amunity to them an the mel that we natualy create is built up and works less offectivly .
Old 01-11-2009, 03:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by endzoner View Post
For me I only use them to sleep , I was told that if you take them constantly you build up an amunity to them an the mel that we natualy create is built up and works less offectivly .
No doubt this is true. As with everything else, there is tolerance. And I don't want to screw things up more than they already are. Still, I simply do not want to have a meltdown in my last week and have to tell my mental health employer I have a history of panic disorder. They SHOULD understand, given the nature of mental health, yet I still think it would be bad for things to get to that point. I am afraid my only hope is my Dr. tomorrow.

The driving thing is coming back too. Yikes. I don't know if anyone can relate, but I have to be in only certain lanes of traffic, cannot drive next to K walls, stuff like that.

Gaad, I hate having this condition, but who doesn't? It is so debilitating.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
To Life!

Glad you're going to talk to your doctor.
Sounds like the best thing you can do.
Let us know how it goes.
We care.

Shalom!
Old 01-11-2009, 07:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by historyteach View Post
Glad you're going to talk to your doctor.
Sounds like the best thing you can do.
Let us know how it goes.
We care.

Shalom!
Thank you. I just have to make it through five more days and then it's done. Nothing seems to work anymore - melatonin, Lunesta...I take them and I don't even get tired. This scares me. I just hope my shrink takes pity on me and helps me out. He hates giving me anything potentially addictive but did around the time I thought I was going to have to put my dog to sleep (he had suggested psychiatric hospitalization, but I didn't want to go that route). I really need my sleep and when these things stop working, I don't know. Thanks.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I take melatonin to help me get a good night's rest. I've taken sleep aids before (OTC and script) and they work completely different. Melatonin is natural, but in my experience, it isn't used for anxiety. There are lots of natural things you can do to help with your anxiety. When I am experiencing fear which comes out as anxiety or panic, I try to focus on my breathing. I light candles and incense. I take a hot bath. I make a cup of herbal tea. I log in here. I call a friend. I listen to meditative music. I keep everything muted and soft. I keep a buddha on my desk at work. I listen to soft music in the car, or nothing at all. And, I try not to judge myself for having the experience.

Let us know how it goes for you.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Melatonin is not typically used for anxiety. Talk to your dr..if it is a fear of public speaking, there are several meds available that are nonadictive. The class of drugs are beta blockers. Typically used for hypertension but work great for performances and public speaking. good luck
Old 01-15-2009, 05:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Dismember

I used to work in vitamin shop. Melatonin was never promoted as a calming thing. If I recall what it does is trick your brain into thinking it's time to sleep but does not alter the kind of sleep you'll get. People take it when they travel to reset their sleep schedule. I used it for a while when my work schedule changed, and I didn't experience anything relaxing about it. It's not something you take throughout the day.

If you're thinking supplements, ask your psychiatrist if they have any advice on GABA or kava. You want to ask them because GABA interacts with some drugs, as does kava I think. But those are what I recall being "recommended but not FDA approved."
Old 01-15-2009, 06:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Melatonin is not typically used for anxiety.Listen to your doctor's suggestion
Old 01-21-2009, 04:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Wishing I could be good!

Smile

Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
I take melatonin to help me get a good night's rest. I've taken sleep aids before (OTC and script) and they work completely different. Melatonin is natural, but in my experience, it isn't used for anxiety. There are lots of natural things you can do to help with your anxiety. When I am experiencing fear which comes out as anxiety or panic, I try to focus on my breathing. I light candles and incense. I take a hot bath. I make a cup of herbal tea. I log in here. I call a friend. I listen to meditative music. I keep everything muted and soft. I keep a buddha on my desk at work. I listen to soft music in the car, or nothing at all. And, I try not to judge myself for having the experience.

Let us know how it goes for you.
All of things that you do for your anxiety sounds so nice and relaxing. All of it. I am going to try these. Thank you so much for letting us know.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My advice is to stay away from Kolonopin. That stuff is addictive.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I sometimes use melatonin for sleep, i hear its not good to use it tooo much though because its a hormone. does it realy work for anxiety