Notices

Paxil and alcohol - Dangerous?

Old 03-19-2007, 10:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Paxil and alcohol - Dangerous?

In order to deal with the anxiety attacks that have come back, I saw my doctor. He decided to follow the same path my last doctor followed which is 1 tablet of Paxil everyday, with DEPAS (Anti-anxiety) for times I need it, like at work. I was 'cured' of this years ago. Recent events have brought them back. I should've asked my doctor...but as far as side-effects on Paxil, I never had any before. Is alcohol a no no. I ask because in Japan, going drinking with the boss or with students (Of age) can sometimes happen out of the blue. I don't want to cause myself any undue harm (Like liver damage or anything). Is this a problem? I also don't want to say "On Paxil, can't drink." which is another reason for asking.

I plan on taking my Paxil morning. So if I do drink it will be hours after Paxil. It will not be every day. I just want to be sure. Last time I was on Paxil, I drank without knowing the dangers, and even did extacy twice. Not smart, but it's in my past. I had no side-effects on the Paxil, or coming off cold-turkey. Luck?
Old 03-19-2007, 10:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Davinci, please forgive me if I'm misreading you, but the tone of your posts generally strikes me as if you already know the answers to the questions you ask and are either a) looking to stir up controversy or b) looking for some justification for doing something you already know is not a good idea.

Again, please forgive me, but this is how you come across, at least to me; at least in plain text.

Don't mix paxil and alcohol.

Here's my two cents: if I was in Japan and suffering from panic attacks, I'd go find a zendo and start doing some zazen. Keep with your regular workouts and don't look for excuses to drink. Speaking as a fellow lifter, it's just going to impede your training.

But that's just me.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Alchol is a no-no with any psychotropic drugs - this is a well-known fact. Read the product info, talk to your doctor, or look on the web. Alcohol is a depressant, Paxil is an antidepressant - to drink would therefore defeat the purpose of taking an antidepressant.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

Um... isn't alcohol a no-no when mixed with... humans?!?

InTOXICate=to ingest POISON

As for liver damage, as far as I know, alcohol does that all on its own without being mixed with any other substance...
Old 03-19-2007, 12:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Rock-chalk-jayhawk..

well said margo. i am on paxel and when i told my shrink i have stopped drinking and all of the same behavours have come back. i have social anxiety disorder. and he said the booze and weed are depressants. so when i was clean and sober i was regressing. i basiclly had to start over because the drugs were helping me with my issues. now that i was sober my mind had to work on its own. so i dont think its ever a good thing to drink while trying to get over anxiety. it will be a lose lose situation. just tell everyone i rather not drink. plus its none of there buisness. good luck....jason
Old 03-20-2007, 07:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't drink because of lifting. I would consider myself a social drinker. I don't drink to get drunk. I don't have the power I used to to deal with hangovers. My lifts are important to me as well. Maybe I should be a bit clearer when I say drink. If I were to have a glass of wine, or a mug of beer with my boss at dinner, or just to relax at home, is this bad?

I usually ask my doctor about anything I should stay away from, be it food or supplements, to other medication, when I am given something new to take, be it Paxil or even cold medicine. I asked "If I take my Paxil in the morning, and then end up drinking in the evening, am I in trouble." He said "No. You'll be fine. Just try not to go overboard. Even then, you should be fine."

I'm not looking to get drunk, I'm just trying to figure out what boundaries I have. Do I give up alcohol completely 100 percent, even if it's just a celebratory glass of champagne at my birthday? I don't mean to stir up anything, just looking for some clarification...my doc said it was OK to drink, just space it out...didn't seem right, but then this is a country where doctors recommend patients start smoking to help them handle stress more.

Going to a sento is fine, but not always possible. I have lots of things I'd like to do, but just don't have the time. Right now I'm trying to learn time management.

An example of what I would like to avoid is as follows: If I injure myself at the gym in a way that requires me to take tylenol, then I would avoid all alcohol at all costs. Tylenol and alcohol is super bad for the liver, and damage can occure easily with the 2 after just 1 time. If I took an NSAID, then I wouldn't worry so much. Still not good for the body in general, but I'm not gonna worry myself about it.

If Paxil is something that requires someone to stay off alcohol at all times, regardless of the amounts they take, then that's what I will do...and I will bring this up with my doctor again and ask why he said it was OK. I live in a country where drinking is part of the culture. Not drinking can be an insult in many cases...so, I'm just preparing. Everyone knows I can drink...suddenly choosing not to will cause them to wonder why. If I were in Canada, I might be able to open up about my problem. I live in Japan where this problem would be looked at as a severe handicap and it would affect how people treat me in many ways. I'd be labeled 'the mental guy'...and I would like to avoid that.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DaVinci2 View Post

I usually ask my doctor about anything I should stay away from, be it food or supplements, to other medication, when I am given something new to take, be it Paxil or even cold medicine. I asked "If I take my Paxil in the morning, and then end up drinking in the evening, am I in trouble." He said "No. You'll be fine. Just try not to go overboard. Even then, you should be fine."
Look at your original post. In that post, you said you forgot to ask your doctor. So, which is it?

If you've already gotten instruction from your doctor on what you can and can't do, what are you asking us for?
Old 03-21-2007, 05:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by screen_name View Post
Look at your original post. In that post, you said you forgot to ask your doctor. So, which is it?

If you've already gotten instruction from your doctor on what you can and can't do, what are you asking us for?
Sorry for the confusion...

This is my second time on Paxil. When I was put on Paxil the first time, I was told alcohol was fine. This was 3 or 4 yrs ago. This time I didn't ask. So I ask here now. Different doctor this time around.

Why ask here? Well, because I live in a country where I don't trust my doctors as much as I would back home. I do trust those who have been on Paxil, dealt with addiction or other issues.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

>I do trust those who have been on Paxil, dealt with addiction or other issues.

Look, I don't mean to be rude or anything, but if you trusted people here, you would have accepted the opinions repeatedly offered, instead of asking the same questions over and over.

Again, I apologize if I'm coming across rude here. I am a bit on edge this week, but you haven't said anything that gives me the impression that you're doing anything other than looking for a rubber stamp for a behavior you already know is considered dangerous by others.

If you want to blaze your own trail, that's fine. I've blazed my own in a number of ways. But what I learned by doing that is that if you're going to blaze your own trail, don't expect others to approve. If you're convinced you need to do something contrary to conventional wisdom, then at least have the courage of your convictions. Don't try to play both sides of the field.

That's my two cents. You can ask the question 10 more times in 10 more ways, and the answer is probably going to be the same from everyone. But good luck to you. And I mean that.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Not looking to blaze any trail...

Maybe I'm reading the posts wrong. If the posts above are saying "No alcohol at all regardless of the circumstances." Then I will not be drinking any alcohol in any amount for as long as I'm on Paxil, and beyond if that's what's needed.

Perhaps I should've rephrased it in a way that sounds more like this:

While on Paxil, will drinking any amount, be it a mouthful of wine to a few beers, cause adverse reactions that would otherwise not be seen while off Paxil. I won't argue that drinking alcohol is unhealthy, but in combination with Paxil, is it far more dangerous? What happens? Does the alcohol react with Paxil in such a way that it will threaten ones life, or ability to recover, even in amounts (A sip of wine) some would consider meaningless (And if it is those small amounts that can be bad, they are then NOT meaningless.).

I'm not looking for a reason to drink. I drink at social occasions or when I'm in a situation where it's considered rude not to accept it. A little understanding that I live in a culture where it's just not right to not be able to drink with customers and bosses. If this were not part of the culture here, I wouldn't need to ask this, I could just tell my co-workers/boss, I'm taking meds that prevent me from drinking at all, sorry. My bosses or customers find out I'm on Paxil, then I get shuffled into my own little category of being the 'mentally unstable' one.

The reason for my rephrasing of the post is because I feel that people are assuming that I'm looking to going out and getting wasted. I'm not. I drink on rare occasions. I still drink though. Knowing that tylenol mixed with alcohol in even small amounts, can cause liver damage, and therefore I come up with excuses not to join a business meeting where there will be alcohol. This is easier since I don't take tylenol everyday. However, avoiding meetings with bosses and customers for months will be something I need to plan ahead for and think about. In America it might be easier for everyone to accept "Sorry, gave up drinking." Not in Japan. Perhaps it's not a culture you understand unless you've lived here as long as I have, but that's what the culture is.

No alcohol is better, I don't doubt that. Is no alcohol a MUST when on Paxil, for reasons of safety (And by no alcohol I'm not talking about going out to the clubs and getting smashed on shots of whatever, but even a glass of something)? I don't know. Perhaps I'm reading the posts wrong. Can someone give me a STRAIGHT answer:

1. If you drink while on Paxil, it will cause damage to you that you would not see if not on Paxil. If you drink, you have to stop, regardless of the amounts, to avoid these adverse reactions.

2. Alcohol and (Insert other substances, including vitamines and food) should be avoided. In moderate amounts, you will not see adverse reactions, but it should still be avoided in order to recover from your illness.

3. Alcohol is bad, with or without Paxil. However, it's not made any worse being on Paxil.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Waitng4Reality

Are you saying that there are NO alcoholics in Japan? If I were you, I'd give up the Paxil.....
Old 03-22-2007, 05:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Waitng4Reality View Post
Are you saying that there are NO alcoholics in Japan? If I were you, I'd give up the Paxil.....
I'm saying that what people in America would consider an alcoholic, would be considered normal here. Businessmen have beer and wine with lunch, especially when it's lunch with a customer. Businessmen often drink after work with their co-workers and with their friends after work. They then go home and drink again.

While this may not be true for every single Japanese person, it's far different than America. If I say "I drink everyday." people don't bat an eye. They say "Me too. Drinking helps me relax. I just wish it didn't make me fat around the waiste." Those that don't drink much, still drink on a weekly basis, or even daily basis, just in smaller amounts. It's just the way it is. They sell alcohol at the subway and train stations, people are allowed to drink outside so you will often see businessmen drinking alcohol on the way home from work. AA is almost non-existant here because they don't feel it's a problem.

Like I said, it's a part of the culture. I have no problem giving up alcohol, but I do have to keep in mind that my job, in the country I live in NOW, requires me to take into consideration the fact that it is sometimes expected of me to drink. That's why I am asking. I would choose my life over my work. I would accept the stigma of being labeled and take the risk that I may have to move onto other work sometime in the near future and give up all that I've worked for until now. However, if a beer here and there isn't going to jeapordize my health, and I can avoid the label and possible loss of work, then I would rather follow that path.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

DaVinci2 - this is a direct quote from the official Paxil site (SmithKline Beecham):

Alcohol: Although PAXIL has not been shown to increase the impairment of mental and motor skills caused by alcohol, patients should be advised to avoid alcohol while taking PAXIL.

If you're looking for someone to tell you it's okay to drink any amount of alcohol while taking Paxil, you're out of luck. Several members have answered you regarding this issue and can't make it any plainer. If you chose to drink, you do so at your own risk. If you are concerned to this degree then it would be smart to err on the side of caution and not drink.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by margo View Post
DaVinci2 - this is a direct quote from the official Paxil site (SmithKline Beecham):

Alcohol: Although PAXIL has not been shown to increase the impairment of mental and motor skills caused by alcohol, patients should be advised to avoid alcohol while taking PAXIL.

If you're looking for someone to tell you it's okay to drink any amount of alcohol while taking Paxil, you're out of luck. Several members have answered you regarding this issue and can't make it any plainer. If you chose to drink, you do so at your own risk. If you are concerned to this degree then it would be smart to err on the side of caution and not drink.
OK. I am concerned and so I ask. It's time to start thinking of a reason why I can't drink over the next months or longer...which is going to add to my anxiety I'm sure.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

No need to add to your anxiety - all you have to say is that it's doctor's orders and if they push for more info just say it's personal and you'd rather not discuss it. Simple and to the point (and true!).
Old 03-23-2007, 09:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by margo View Post
No need to add to your anxiety - all you have to say is that it's doctor's orders and if they push for more info just say it's personal and you'd rather not discuss it. Simple and to the point (and true!).
You've got to understand Japan a bit more. Unless I have some serious liver issues, there will always be a customer/boss who will say "Aww...come on. One drink won't kill you." And after refusing so many drinks, it starts to becoming insulting to them. It's just part of their culture...can't say I agree with it, but that's what I'm up against.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hello. I am new here, and I am researching all things about Paxil. I am a cancer survivor and after my 4th diagnoses with breast cancer, I became "depressed". It came in the form of anxiousness, so onc put me on Paxil. I didn't bother to really read the label and yesterday, after about 2 mos on Paxil, I had a couple of coolers in my backyard, while sitting in the sun. I apparently had a phone conversation with my daughter long distance, and my son and other daughter ( both young teens) were with me and also my hubby and we were all chatting in the backyard. I DON'T RECALL ANY OF IT. I DON'T RECALL LAYING DOWN AND FALLING INTO A DEEP SLEEP FOR 3 HOURS EITHER! HECK...I am only a social drinker, like once or twice every couple of weeks, and I was TOAST! I woke up hungover and felt like I had been hit by a truck! I want to go off Paxil now that I have experienced this, but scared to go off it, and TERRIFIED to have even ONE drink.

Has anyone ever experienced such a severe side-effect before????

Thanks for any and all advice.
Newbie ( NotME!)
Old 05-21-2007, 03:56 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Determined

Davinci,

I was prescribed paxil 3 weeks ago( I have now changed meds), but my doc told me NOT to drink with them, and it was printed on the label with my name and address on the bag , and also printed on the label on the box and reiterated in the leaflet contained with the drugs. Forget the culture thing (tell them you have a urinary/kidney diisease if you can't be honest) and look after number one, THATS YOU.

Good luck
Old 05-21-2007, 08:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Eh?

Thanks for your quick response.

Unfortunately, I have checked the bottle for label; NOTHING. I have re-read the pamphlet that came with it from Shoppers Drug Mart ( Canada)... NOTHING! Even if you go onto the Shoppers website and go into the meds... it does not mention anything about alcohol. My oncologist did not mention anything other than it can be addicting, so you have to be weened (sp?) off it.

I am totally surprised... but honestly, the labels say NOTHING about alchohol and Paxil.

NotMe!
Old 05-21-2007, 08:45 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Here is a link

http://depression.about.com/cs/drugs...lcoholmeds.htm

http://us.gsk.com/products/assets/us_paxil.pdf