Notices

Non Alcoholic beer

Old 07-10-2004, 11:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Non Alcoholic beer

Other then it's 0.5% alcohol rating, is there any downside for recovering alcoholics to drink this every now and again?
Old 07-10-2004, 11:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Well, the fact that it does have even that much alcohol in it is enough reason for me to want to steer clear of it. Plus it tastes like beer (sort of) and that could make me want the real thing. Today I live free of alcoholic-type beverages even if there's little alcohol in them. I don't even want that sparkling cider that comes in the wine-looking bottle because that's a trigger. If I'm not drinking beer anymore, then I'm not drinking BEER anymore, even SO-CALLED non-alcoholic stuff.
Love, Eddie
Old 07-10-2004, 11:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

another downside is that they SUCK, but I *was* an extreme beer snob, hehe.

I, personally, don't think I would ever want one. If I can't have the real thing, I'll just have a coke (and a REAL coke, dammit! NOT a diet! If I have to watch other people drink, *I'm* getting sugar pop!).
Old 07-10-2004, 11:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
s4s

I drank the NA in the beginning. It helped get me through the tough spots. Somewhere in that time--I think when my brain registered that it wasn't giving me that buzz--the taste for beer went away and I have not had one in months. If it gets you through--it is better than going the route of breaking down and having a real one.
Old 07-11-2004, 06:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by N.G.S
Other then it's 0.5% alcohol rating, is there any downside for recovering alcoholics to drink this every now and again?
The disease alcoholism centers in the mind. A relapse begins long before actually picking up a drink of alcohol, its begins when we start listening to our own stinking thinking and we decide to do nothing about it. Its my "thinking" that got me here.

I played enough games with my disease when I was actively drinking, I do not want to ever play games with my sobriety. There is much more to recovery then simply staying physically dry.

I do not drink near beer, because I do not want to be near sober.

Patsy
Old 07-11-2004, 07:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Patsyd1
I do not drink near beer, because I do not want to be near sober.
Well said Patsy.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

As a recovering alcoholic what is the point of drinking "non alcoholic" beer ? Do you like the taste of beer so much that you absolutely must have one ?

Why not invest your money in more nourishing natural juices?

Only a suggestion.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Smile

Hmm..well looks like I did the right thing and steered clear of it. I was at the gas station last night getting a soda when my eyes shifted right over to the beer aile and saw some of the NA beer. I was tempted but but decided to stay away. Wow, I used my brain and it worked!
Old 07-11-2004, 09:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

and there ya go using your brain. Just imagine how far that can get ya!!
Old 07-11-2004, 11:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Wow, I used my brain and it worked!
Yeah, don't make a habit of it! teehee
Love, Eddie
Old 04-05-2006, 06:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I disagree. I think N/A beer can really help beer drinkers that have decided to get sober! I think beer itself if drinken frequently and long enough can be SOMEWHAT habit-forming. Much like Like say... grape soda. Don't get me wrong, the reason people start drinking beer is for the buzz but once the buzz gets old and that person decides to improve their health and/or life, the craving for the beer is still there. The habit of drinking is still there. N/A beer is perfect for those beer lovers. It allows you to sip beer while listening to music or hanging with friends without the negative effects. I recommend it.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Iknow
.... Welcome to SR,,,,
Old 04-05-2006, 07:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Iknow
I disagree. I think N/A beer can really help beer drinkers that have decided to get sober! I think beer itself if drinken frequently and long enough can be SOMEWHAT habit-forming. Much like Like say... grape soda. Don't get me wrong, the reason people start drinking beer is for the buzz but once the buzz gets old and that person decides to improve their health and/or life, the craving for the beer is still there. The habit of drinking is still there. N/A beer is perfect for those beer lovers. It allows you to sip beer while listening to music or hanging with friends without the negative effects. I recommend it.
I agree. I drink NA beer and it doesn't have any negative effects whatsoever. I never cared much for soda pop anyway because I don't have a sweet tooth, so I find it a nice alternative. Also, it is a great post-exercise refreshment with the perfect number of carb calories and fluid to replenish what you've just burned. It's nice to be able to have a beer after a run and not have it negatively affect your body's ability to metabolize fat and repair muscle tissue. It's also nice to be able to have a beer with lunch and not feel dead tired by the afternoon. In some ways, I like NA beer better than the real thing! That said, I only drink about a six-pack of the stuff per week, as opposed to the six-pack per day I went through with normal beer.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
alcohol-kicked-my butt

yuck--i wouldnt want one --ive thrown up so much regular beer in my life--i dont even want it or anything like it--plus i drank for the drunk and not the taste--but to each his own--i do know a guy whos been sober a few yrs who drinks em--course i havent seen him around lately....
laura
Old 04-05-2006, 09:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Living and Loving.

For me... I don't drink them. But then again I don't really like the taste of beer.

I have a friend who was a full time beer drunk alcoholic and he kicked it but he did switch to drinking O'douls. Every time I see him at a party he has one in his hand. All our friends are sure to stock it for him too cuz they know he's recovered and want it available to him. So while to me if there was a near-wine or a near-vodka... I wouldn't touch it as it would scare the krap outta me. But for him it works.

I think it's one of those "is it worth the risk" type of choices. For me the answer would be no.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:44 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
BitSizeDayz

Well the advice is great for me if they advertise thats it non-alcholic then there must be some trace of the dreaded stuff in the drink other wise they would of called it Root beer or some other kind of drink and not Alchol free. and still have .5% in it.
Remember this our brain is the main cause of our drinking. And i fit get a thuoght that wer are drinking again it can put us back to where we where or futher away and closer to the grave.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:14 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
L'il fighter

Ug. Considering that it tastes like garbage I don't think I'd ever go near it. Plus, I'd be worried that the small amount of alcohol present would prompt me to drink an entire case to get buzzed. I have very little confidence in my willpower :P

I'm drinking a ton of pop these days just to get my carbonation fix.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:53 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Michael

I wouldn't go near NA beer. I think that if I tried it I would simply begin to crave the real thing. Holding the beer, drinking it, tasting it and subconsciously waiting for the kick from it would be pressing all the wrong buttons in my brain. Why would I want to risk my heard earned sobriety for a product that frankly tastes like pure panther p***?
The clincher for me is that most allegedly non alcoholic beers actually contain about 0.5% alcohol. I don't want alcohol in my system full stop.
Michael
Old 04-06-2006, 03:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by midgetcop
Plus, I'd be worried that the small amount of alcohol present would prompt me to drink an entire case to get buzzed. I have very little confidence in my willpower :P
Watch out for any fruit juice that isn't fresh squeezed. It contains about the same amount of alcohol.

DK
Old 04-06-2006, 03:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

....what's after that, Diet Crack?