Abnormal rise in blood pressure level is known as Hypertension. Technically called ‘arterial hypertension’, this condition can invariably lead to heart attacks, strokes, heart failure, arterial aneurysm, eye damage, and in a worse case, might lead to complete renal failure. Hypertension is particularly dangerous during pregnancy. Hence it is important that hypertension be diagnosed and treated at the earliest.
To better understand the concept of blood pressure, consider the heart as a pump (in fact it is) that pumps blood to all parts of the body through blood vessels called arteries. All pumps work by generating and exerting pressure and in this respect, the heart is also not any different. It pumps blood with a definite pressure so as to take it to every nook and corner of the human body. But what will happen when the pressure becomes excessively high? Too much pressure could cause the arteries to burst or the heart to stop functioning. Irrespective of which of this happens, both would mean troubles unlimited.
Few more aspects on blood pressure
• Blood pressure is a combination of two factors – the force with which the heart pumps the blood, and the width and elasticity of the artery.
• The normal blood pressure is 120/80 mmHg, the first one indicating systolic pressure and the later, diastolic.
Is there any symptoms?
As mentioned earlier, the best way to contain hypertension is to diagnose and treat it at the earliest possible. But, there lies the twist. It is not that easy to diagnose hypertension for there won’t be any obvious symptoms for this condition. In most cases, by the time doctors find out the defect, that will be after a heart attack or a stroke, and the things would have gone to the anvil by then.
But severe hypertension might cause symptoms such as sleeplessness, confusion, headache, and in a worse case, coma. Again, it is highly unlikely that one may realize the underlying cause unless he/she get him/herself diagnosed by an expert.
The causes for 90% of the cases involving hypertension are unknown. In other words, there are no clear cut causes for hypertension. Such cases are referred to as ‘essential hypertension’ or ‘primary hypertension’. In the remaining 10% cases, there can be an underlying cause and such hypertension is referred to as ‘secondary hypertension’. The main causes of secondary hypertension can be endocrine tumors, alcohol abuse, hormonal problems or kidney disorders.
The treatments of hypertension include a combination of medicines and a healthy lifestyle. Here, it should be understood that both these factors need to go hand in hand, and following any one of it alone won’t do any good for the patient.
A healthy life style would mean a controlled diet, daily workout, no smoking and alcohol, and a relaxed mind. The common medications prescribed include ACE Indicators, alpha and beta blockers, diuretics and calcium channel blockers, even though the exact prescriptions may depend upon the doctor.
In closing, An existing hypertension can be aggravated by smoking, obesity, lack of exercise, excessive salt intake, and medicines containing steroids. These kinds of things should be avoided from one’s life in future.